Adventures decide to track down a halfling named “Rat Albert”. Albert is believed to be the “mastermind” behind the theft of coins from Saltmarsh’s fountains. And more recently a suspect behind the deaths of 2 dryads and the swamp-treant Marsh Marrow.
Adventures venture inland from a location that they previously marked and eventually come a cross a sign:
Come no closer
lest you catch
the disfiguring plague
that afflicts me!
The party continues and shortly after, they find a cave with obvious signs of it being infested with rats.
Jamie pokes a large fish carcass, and becomes infected with Rot Grubs, Kelda burns clears out the chamber with a flaming sphere. Two xvarts attempt to dump rocks and lunch onto Sar Gassum. One escapes, the other is knocked unconscious and tied to Snaps’ shell. The tunnels get narrower and eventually, our party gets a quick glimpse of a halfling with whiskers. He quickly runs around a corner and swarms of rats attack the party. Snaps is surrounded by 4 rat swarms but eventually exits the tunnel unscathed. By the time the party finishes dealing with the rats, Rat Albert escapes down a very narrow tunnel.
In the the deepest cave chamber, adventures find Rat Albert’s living quarters:
- Used equipment kits for healing, herbalism, poison and anti-toxin
- Dozens of empty vials
- Various equipment (skill checks needed to identify);
- straw bed with halfling-sized clothing stored in cave nooks
- 8 blocks of molding cheese
- 1 Drift Globe
- 165 copper and 78 silver;
Active Quest Log
- Dead Fish – something is polluting the water and killing the fish; Ferrin (the sun-bathing halfling druid) offers 4 potions of water breathing to those who offer to find and end source of the problem.
- Vecna’s Twist – the town guard recently broke up a cult of Vecna. During the interrogation, the cult leader revealed that a cursed ceremonial dagger was hidden on the Wreck of the Marshal. Eliander Fireborn, captain of the guard offers 300gp for recovering the dagger or neutralize the threat.
Quests completed, or not available at this time
- The Final Enemy – The town council will soon ask the adventurers for help. Will they help? The mission: infiltrate the sahuagin stronghold, determine their strength of numbers, identify key areas of the fortress, discover key defenses and learn how soon the sahuagin might attack. A full assault will be launched 14days after your return.
- Find and Stop Rat Albert – the halfling is the primary suspect in the deaths of forest protectors Marsh Marrow (an treant) and 2 dryads. – mostly completed.
- Participate in the Lizardfolk games – strengthen the relationship with the lizardfolk tribe and prove that Saltmarsh can provide skilled and strong warriors. A magical item is offered as a prize in the final event. – Saltmarsh sends others to represent the town.
- Salvage Operation – A merchant hired the party to recover a box lost at sea. – 100% complete.
- The Hunt for Thousand Teeth – Queen Othokent wants adventurers to deal with the ancient crocodile that hunts near the lizardfolk tribe’s lair.
- Close the Portal/Fix the Chandalier @ Waterkheel – Demon-like creatures continue to appear. A powerful undead drow woman (Yalaga) is the caretaker of the underwater ruins. Kelp and Kjardi now haunt the ruins.
- Crabbers Cove – local fisher, Gloomy Devil is missing. A halfling named Rat Albert is wanted for further questioning.
- Investigate the Dread Wood – Something unnatural is stirring in the Dread Wood, according to the sun-bathing halfling Ferrin and his seagull, Jonathan.
- Recover a Sunken Treasure – Captain Xendros has mentioned a magical mechanical crab was lost at sea, she would like someone to recover it. She is not ready to trust adventurers for this mission – a potion of healing has been purchased from her.
- Droth assigned to serve as a supporting medic for this adventuring band. water genasi grave cleric;
- Guy Windsong entertainer who is proficient in limericks and maybe a marine supply clerk?, half-elf bard;
- Jamie half-elf bard, made a sudden and mysterious appearance through a time-warping portal; (Age 28;)
- Kelda Hellsdóttir a red-headed hermit (follows the steps of her twin sister) on a mission to end slavery in the area. human druid, circle of the coast; (Age 30; H 5’6”; W 117;)
- Mossback “That’s Mr. Tortle to you!”, a local Saltmarsh fisher; tortle druid;
- Quixsy an elite soldier who broke barriers and became a role model for women. marine veteran, half-orc barbarian; (Age 36; H 5’8”; W 152;)
- Sar-Gassum (was that Sgt. Awesome?) his previous squad was crushed by a leviathan, soldier, water genasi monk (Age 23; H 6’0”; W 180;)
- Snaps (Chelydra Serpentina) she enjoys the sea, and hopes to buy some oceanfront property. marine veteran, tortle barbarian; (Age 30; H 5’6”; W 425;)