Sanctum of the Reptile God
The town of Satlmarsh has been poisoned.
Those infected become sick and begin to grow scales. All known magical means of curing and removing the curse are ineffective. Some of Saltamarsh residents blame the lizardfolk. The lizardfolk have been sent outside of town to a a safehouse. Off camera, Snaps, Oceanus and the 2 lizardfolk diplomats journey back to the lizardfolk lair to begin preparing for a recon mission. After our adventures finish clearing up the poisoned river, they are to reconnect with Snaps at the lizardfolk lair and immediately begin a recon mission.
The Lizardfolk diplomats are interrogated, Ferrin the sunbathing halfling provides additional info and with consulting the library at Saltmarsh, adventures travel to the Dread Wood. Following the river and with the helpful scouting of a hawk they find a temple. The temple is much larger on the inside than the outside, and seems to be dedicated to reptiles.
In a large chamber with a 5 headed snake fountain, sahaugin guards stand near a pool of red liquid and take orders from a giant snake with the head of a woman. Her name might be Saja N’basa? The heroes refuse to drink from the pool and instead a battle breaks out. Sar-Gassum charges forward at great speed and engages their leader. Unfortunately, she takes him down with her poisonous bites. The remaining party battle the guards and a monstrous creature made of bones. By the time they deal with the guards and catch up to Sar-Gassum, it’s too late.
Saja N’basa claims she cannot be killed and will return. However, for the time being, it appears that the adventures have defeated her.
Treasure found at the temple in the Drowned Forest and for clearing the polluted river:
10,000 sp; 2500gp, 13pp (3630gp total = 605 gp each)
*Discounted resurrection fees or a Saltmarsh ceremony for the fallen Sar-Gassum;
Wrap up – at the reptile god temple.
Death of the monk? Sar-Gassum
Minor Treasure rolls.
Pools with red liquid – try to understand and destroy the Hex-Plague-Scale Curse – are the lizardfolk responsible?
Active Quest Log
- Reptile Plague – the town of Saltmarsh has contracted a mysterious hex-plague. Tensions in town grow, and some begin to question if the lizardfolk can be trusted. Preparing for the worst, Saltmarsh asks it bravest heroes to put an end to the plague of scales.
- The Final Enemy – The town council has decided to send a recon team (our adventurers) to the sahaguin lair. Snaps and Oceanus have left town and escorted the two lizardfolk diplomats back to the North – they await the rest of the party. The mission: infiltrate the sahuagin stronghold, determine their strength of numbers, identify key areas of the fortress, discover key defenses and learn how soon the sahuagin might attack. A full assault will be launched 14days after your return.
Quests completed, or not available at this time
- Dead Fish – something is polluting the water and killing the fish; Ferrin (the sun-bathing halfling druid) offers 4 potions of water breathing to those who offer to find and end source of the problem. – still a mystery.
- Find and Stop Rat Albert – a halfling is the primary suspect in the deaths of forest protectors Marsh Marrow (a treant) and 2 dryads. – mission mostly complete; Rat Albert escaped and most likely won’t return;
- Participate in the Lizardfolk games – strengthen the relationship with the lizardfolk tribe and prove that Saltmarsh can provide skilled and strong warriors. A magical item is offered as a prize in the final event. – Saltmarsh sends others to represent the town, the games are canceled when mud beach demons attack. Tensions between humans and lizardfolk rise.
- Salvage Operation – A merchant hired the party to recover a box lost at sea 3 years ago. – 100% complete.
- The Hunt for Thousand Teeth – Queen Othokent wants adventurers to deal with the ancient crocodile that hunts near the lizardfolk tribe’s lair. – Investigated and lost a party member;
- Close the Portal/Fix the Chandalier @ Waterkheel – Demon-like creatures continue to appear. A powerful undead drow woman (Yalaga) is the caretaker of the underwater ruins. Kelp and Kjardi now haunt the ruins.
- Crabbers Cove – local fisher, Gloomy Devil is missing. A halfling named Rat Albert is wanted for further questioning. – neither Rat Albert or Gloomy Devil were found, fountain coin thieves are busted and some barrel mimics destroyed.
- Investigate the Dread Wood – More unnatural things are stirring in the Dread Wood. The sun-bathing halfling Ferrin and his seagull, Jonathan believe the source can be found by following the river. – the source is discovered and the plague is stopped.
- Recover a Sunken Treasure – Captain Xendros mentioned a magical mechanical crab was lost at sea, she needs someone to recover it. She is beginning to believe the adventures might be able to help with this deadly mission.
- Droth assigned to serve as a supporting medic for this adventuring band. water genasi grave cleric;
- Guy Windsong entertainer who is proficient in limericks and maybe a marine supply clerk?, half-elf bard;
- Jamie half-elf bard, made a sudden and mysterious appearance through a time-warping portal; (Age 28;)
- Kelda Hellsdóttir a red-headed hermit (follows the steps of her twin sister) on a mission to end slavery in the area. human druid, circle of the coast; (Age 30; H 5’6”; W 117;)
- Mossback “That’s Mr. Tortle to you!”, a local Saltmarsh fisher; tortle druid;
- Quixsy an elite soldier who broke barriers and became a role model for women. marine veteran, half-orc barbarian; (Age 36; H 5’8”; W 152;)
- Sar-Gassum (was that Sgt. Awesome?) his previous squad was crushed by a leviathan, soldier, water genasi monk (Age 23; H 6’0”; W 180;)
- Snaps (Chelydra Serpentina) she enjoys the sea, and hopes to buy some oceanfront property. marine veteran, tortle barbarian; (Age 30; H 5’6”; W 425;)
- Susie Stackhouse earth genasi druid, covered with beach sand, mud and dirt; Protects dogs from danger.