Squid Squad begins ascending a staircase leading to the second level of the sahuagin lair.
Borgas, catches up to the group “Private Borgas reporting – The enemy is approaching, I’m not sure how much longer I can hold them back!” “Don’t worry private” says Sargassum – “Seargeant Awesome will help you. Squid Squad you know what to do. If things go bad, I’ll meet up with you back in Saltmarsh.” Sargassum and Borgas swim back to guard the gate.
The two barbarians, Snaps and Quixsy, lead the way and become confused when they hear voices in their heads. They meet Shern, a lobster who wishes to escape. Shern shares its knowledge of the enemies which includes a secret hallway. Shern climbs into Quixsy’s backpack.
Through a secret passage, the party finds a couple of rooms which are quickly searched. Quixsy urges the group forward, opening a chest, and consuming a mysterious potion. Quixsy falls under the effects of Rapture Weed and Shern is transferred over to Snaps for safety. Firbolg casts a spell to help end the poisoning effects on Quixsy.
The party moves forward in search of the sahuagin leaders. Quixsy and Snaps burst through a double doors into the throne room – battle ensues! Early in battle, Snaps is banished! Firbolg is taken down by a shell shark. Quixsy is surrounded by the champion guards. Guy is able to command the 4-armed sahuagin to flee and blasts the sahuagin priestess’ with magical blasts. Snaps reappears and kills the priestess. Kelda heals and saves Firbolg and Guy. Firbolg and Quixsy defeat the last enemies.
Sargassum and Borgas appear at the entrance of the royal chamber. “We need to get out of here, the sahuagin troops are coming!” “We’re OK” says Quixsy, “we met a lobster and it knows the way out.”
Adventurers achieve their objectives and return safely to Saltmarsh, they receive a hero’s welcome.
- They are granted Saltmarsh citizenship, and a small home is set aside for them to use, rent-free, whenever they wish.
- Firbolg is rewarded a special item for traveling to Saltmarsh and assisting with the assault.
- Saltmarsh grants the party 1000 gp and a favor: free passage aboard a ship headed to any seaport within a month’s travel of town. This favor can be called in whenever the characters please.
- 30 gp Medallion with an engraving of a shark. The other side’s engraving depicts a dozen tridents offset in a circle to form the shape of a star;
- A leather harness adorned with small rubies and platinum buckles (75 gp)
- A canvas bag with 20 pp
- An ornately carved stone box containing 5 potions of rapture weed;
- A silver frame (25 gp) holding a portrait of the baroness painted in oil
- A statuette of a shark made from gold (200 gp)
Total treasure found at sahuagin lair = 530 gp
Total treasure from this session = 1530gp total = 255gp for each hero;
Shern: Lobster, Telepath, Friend – Until it escaped, Shern was used by the sahuagin in their makeshift lobster fighting arenas. It managed to escape its fate as a gladiator, in part due to its strangely high level of intelligence. Maybe resides at the home of Quixsy or Snaps?
Player condition tracking:
- Sar-Gassum still has the Curse of Scales (scaly appearance: disadvantage on charisma checks and -2 from max hp)
- Guy – granted the Blessing of Procan
- Quixsy – drank a potion of Rapture Weed. When the effect wears off or is negated, the creature must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be afflicted with a form of long-term madness (see “Madness” in chapter 8 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide).
Active Quest Log
- The Final Enemy, The Assault – The Saltmarsh Alliance has decided to launch a full assault on the sahuagins. Take out or capture as many sahuagin leaders as possible.
Quests completed, or not available at this time
- Reptile Plague – the town of Saltmarsh has contracted a mysterious hex-plague where people become sick and grow scales. – The heroes stop the poison from spreading, Guy took evidence back to Saltmarsh in hopes that the town wizards can find a cure. While others believe the lizardfolk are behind this attack, Guy reasons that it is probably something different.
- Dead Fish – something is polluting the water and killing the fish; Ferrin (the sun-bathing halfling druid) offers 4 potions of water breathing to those who offer to find and end source of the problem. – still a mystery.
- Find and Stop Rat Albert – a halfling is the primary suspect in the deaths of forest protectors Marsh Marrow (a treant) and 2 dryads. – mission mostly complete; Rat Albert escaped and probably won’t return;
- Participate in the Lizardfolk games – strengthen the relationship with the lizardfolk tribe and prove that Saltmarsh can provide skilled and strong warriors. A magical item is offered as a prize in the final event. – Saltmarsh sent others to represent the town, the games are canceled when mud beach demons attack. Tensions between humans and lizardfolk rise – mission no longer available.
- Salvage Operation – A merchant hired the party to recover a box lost at sea 3 years ago. – 100% complete.
- The Hunt for Thousand Teeth – Queen Othokent wants adventurers to deal with the ancient crocodile that hunts near the lizardfolk tribe’s lair. – Investigated and lost a party member;
- Close the Portal/Fix the Chandalier @ Waterkheel – Demon-like creatures continue to appear. A powerful undead drow woman (Yalaga) is the caretaker of the underwater ruins. Kelp and Kjardi now haunt the ruins.
- Crabbers Cove – local fisher, Gloomy Devil is missing. A halfling named Rat Albert is wanted for further questioning. – neither Rat Albert or Gloomy Devil were found, fountain coin thieves are busted and some barrel mimics destroyed.
- Investigate the Dread Wood – unnatural things are stirring in the Dread Wood. The sun-bathing halfling Ferrin and his seagull, Jonathan believes a source of poison can be found by following the river. – the source is discovered and the plague is stopped.
- Recover a Sunken Treasure – Captain Xendros mentioned a magical mechanical crab was lost at sea, she needs someone to recover it. She is beginning to believe the adventures might be able to help with this deadly mission.
- Firbolg the newest member of Squid Squad is a large firbolg knight that goes by the name, Firbolg. (Age 20; H 7’+; W 300;)
- Guy Windsong entertainer who is proficient in limericks and maybe a marine supply clerk?, half-elf bard;
- Kelda Hellsdóttir a red-headed hermit (follows the steps of her twin sister) on a mission to end slavery in the area. human druid, circle of the coast; (Age 30; H 5’6”; W 117;)
- Quixsy an elite soldier who broke barriers and became a role model for women. marine veteran, half-orc barbarian; (Age 36; H 5’8”; W 152;)
- Sar-Gassum (was that Sgt. Awesome?) his previous squad was crushed by a leviathan, soldier, water genasi monk (Age 23; H 6’0”; W 180;)
- Snaps (Chelydra Serpentina) she enjoys the sea, and hopes to buy some oceanfront property. marine veteran, tortle barbarian; (Age 30; H 5’6”; W 425;)
- Pricing – Captain Xenderos reserves the right to change your item’s price at any time without further notice. Prices do not include the 1d4 x 50gp additional cost for tracking down your magic item.