The Final Enemy (part1)
This session begins with the characters returning to Saltmarsh with their fallen comrade, Sar-Gassum. They also bring information about the Curse of Scales to be investigated by the town wizards. Guy, Jamie and 3 townsfolk make “The Leap” to honor Sar-Gassum. Sar-Gassum is raised from the dead by the Wellgar Brinehand, the 1-legged priest of Saltmarsh.
[Player tracking notes:
Sar-Gassum and Jamie still have the Curse of Scales (scaly appearance: disadvantage on charisma checks and -2 from max hp)
Guy and Jamie made “The Leap” – granted the Blessing of Procan ]
Time is ticking, and our hereos are rushed to the Sahaguin lair. When they get there, lizardfolk scouts tell them that Snaps and Oceanus have been captured. The lizardfolk provide maps of the lair to help the adventurers.
Kelda casts waterbreathing and Guy has been made invisible. While the others hide is a bed of seaweed, Guy is sent forward to scout. The first location Guy explores is a large chamber with roughly 50 or so sahaguin with several large sharks performing military drills. The group decides to try another point of entry.
The group enters through a natural cave entrance. They push their way into a small chamber with a dead, giant bloated eel. On the other side, they hear sounds of something being tortured. Quixsy busts the door open. A battle with 3 sahaguin occurs. Kelda (in octopus form) and Guy free a locathah bound to a table – his name is Borgas, and instantly recognizes “Sgt. Awesome” and Guy as heroes of Saltmarsh.
Adventurers find themselves in a sahaguin torture chamber. Five door cells to the north and an open hallway sloping downward to the south.
A map has been provided by the lizardfolk.
Snaps and Oceanus have been captured and held somewhere in the sahaguin stronghold can the heroes find them in time?
The Saltmarsh Town Council asks our heroes for the following information:
- Determine the strength of the sahuagin force: how many warriors. lieutenants. and other battle-ready troops are present.
- Locate important areas within the fortress: where are the warriors barracked. the officers quartered, and the leaders housed.
- Discover any significant defensive measures: traps, areas readied specifically for defense, and other dangers the attacking force must avoid or overcome.
- Discover how advanced the sahuagin preparations are and when they might mount their first attack.
Active Quest Log
- The Final Enemy – The town council has decided to send a recon team (our adventurers) to the sahaguin lair. Snaps and Oceanus have left town and escorted the two lizardfolk diplomats back to the North – they await the rest of the party. The mission: infiltrate the sahuagin stronghold, determine their strength of numbers, identify key areas of the fortress, discover key defenses and learn how soon the sahuagin might attack. A full assault will be launched 14days after your return.
Quests completed, or not available at this time
- Reptile Plague – the town of Saltmarsh has contracted a mysterious hex-plague where people become sick and grow scales. – The groups neutralizes the poison from spreading, Guy takes evidence back to Saltmarsh in hopes that the town wizards can find a cure. While others believe the lizardfolk are behind this attack, Guy reasons that it is probably something different.
- Dead Fish – something is polluting the water and killing the fish; Ferrin (the sun-bathing halfling druid) offers 4 potions of water breathing to those who offer to find and end source of the problem. – still a mystery.
- Find and Stop Rat Albert – a halfling is the primary suspect in the deaths of forest protectors Marsh Marrow (a treant) and 2 dryads. – mission mostly complete; Rat Albert escaped and most likely won’t return;
- Participate in the Lizardfolk games – strengthen the relationship with the lizardfolk tribe and prove that Saltmarsh can provide skilled and strong warriors. A magical item is offered as a prize in the final event. – Saltmarsh sends others to represent the town, the games are canceled when mud beach demons attack. Tensions between humans and lizardfolk rise.
- Salvage Operation – A merchant hired the party to recover a box lost at sea 3 years ago. – 100% complete.
- The Hunt for Thousand Teeth – Queen Othokent wants adventurers to deal with the ancient crocodile that hunts near the lizardfolk tribe’s lair. – Investigated and lost a party member;
- Close the Portal/Fix the Chandalier @ Waterkheel – Demon-like creatures continue to appear. A powerful undead drow woman (Yalaga) is the caretaker of the underwater ruins. Kelp and Kjardi now haunt the ruins.
- Crabbers Cove – local fisher, Gloomy Devil is missing. A halfling named Rat Albert is wanted for further questioning. – neither Rat Albert or Gloomy Devil were found, fountain coin thieves are busted and some barrel mimics destroyed.
- Investigate the Dread Wood – unnatural things are stirring in the Dread Wood. The sun-bathing halfling Ferrin and his seagull, Jonathan believe a source of poison can be found by following the river. – the source is discovered and the plague is stopped.
- Recover a Sunken Treasure – Captain Xendros mentioned a magical mechanical crab was lost at sea, she needs someone to recover it. She is beginning to believe the adventures might be able to help with this deadly mission.
- Droth assigned to serve as a supporting medic for this adventuring band. water genasi grave cleric;
- Guy Windsong entertainer who is proficient in limericks and maybe a marine supply clerk?, half-elf bard;
- Jamie half-elf bard/warlock, made a sudden and mysterious appearance through a time-warping portal; (Age 28;)
- Kelda Hellsdóttir a red-headed hermit (follows the steps of her twin sister) on a mission to end slavery in the area. human druid, circle of the coast; (Age 30; H 5’6”; W 117;)
- Mossback “That’s Mr. Tortle to you!”, a local Saltmarsh fisher; tortle druid;
- Quixsy an elite soldier who broke barriers and became a role model for women. marine veteran, half-orc barbarian; (Age 36; H 5’8”; W 152;)
- Sar-Gassum (was that Sgt. Awesome?) his previous squad was crushed by a leviathan, soldier, water genasi monk (Age 23; H 6’0”; W 180;)
- Snaps (Chelydra Serpentina) she enjoys the sea, and hopes to buy some oceanfront property. marine veteran, tortle barbarian; (Age 30; H 5’6”; W 425;)
- Susie Stackhouse earth genasi druid, covered with beach sand, mud and dirt;