Vecna’s Twist part 3
We continue from last session as the adventurers finish searching the nest – recovering treasure and humanoid skeletal remains, then destroying the harpy’s nest.
They plan on resting in Guy’s magic hut at the shipwreck, but are turned back by a pair of ghosts. They demand that Snaps and Sar-Gassum leave. Guy offers to help by burying the remains of the ghosts’ comrades. Calimara explains that they don’t have much time, the forces of Vecna and Demogorgon will return soon.
After resting on the beach overnight, the group returns to find the dagger but first they need to deal with a group of Merrow lurking in the wreck. After defeating the Merrow, the search for the dagger starts with the large statue. Another chain is broken and a wraith appears and attacks, but the group continues the search. Eventually they are able to move the statue and beneath Snap’s feet is a dagger. She reaches down to pick it up and becomes paralyzed. Guy safely retrieves the dagger and the group tries to carry their 400lb tortle comrade out while the wraith continues to attack them.
Barney, the giant crab, reminds Guy that the bodies in the brig should also be buried. Guy and Sar-Gassum recover the remains while Kelda, Jamie and 2 dogs push/pull Snaps out of the shipwreck. Once the crew’s remains are buried, Calimara’s ghost appears. She is grateful and rewards the characters with the ship’s treasure.
Treasure rewarded by Calimara Deswin’s Ghost:
15 crates containing a total of 1,500 copies of Saint Cuthbert’s Common Sense
The party returns to the Saltmarsh and is rewarded 300gp when the broken dagger is given to Eliander Fireborn.
Active Quest Log
- Vecna’s Twist – the town guard broke up a cult of Vecna. During the interrogation, the leader revealed that a cursed ceremonial dagger was hidden on the Wreck of the Marshal. Eliander Fireborn, captain of the guard offers 300gp for recovering the dagger or proof that the threat has been neutralized.
Quests completed, or not available at this time
- Dead Fish – something is polluting the water and killing the fish; Ferrin (the sun-bathing halfling druid) offers 4 potions of water breathing to those who offer to find and end source of the problem.
- The Final Enemy – The town council will soon ask the adventurers for help. Will they help? The mission: infiltrate the sahuagin stronghold, determine their strength of numbers, identify key areas of the fortress, discover key defenses and learn how soon the sahuagin might attack. A full assault will be launched 14days after your return.
- Find and Stop Rat Albert – the halfling is the primary suspect in the deaths of forest protectors Marsh Marrow (an treant) and 2 dryads. – mostly completed.
- Participate in the Lizardfolk games – strengthen the relationship with the lizardfolk tribe and prove that Saltmarsh can provide skilled and strong warriors. A magical item is offered as a prize in the final event. – Saltmarsh sends others to represent the town.
- Salvage Operation – A merchant hired the party to recover a box lost at sea. – 100% complete.
- The Hunt for Thousand Teeth – Queen Othokent wants adventurers to deal with the ancient crocodile that hunts near the lizardfolk tribe’s lair.
- Close the Portal/Fix the Chandalier @ Waterkheel – Demon-like creatures continue to appear. A powerful undead drow woman (Yalaga) is the caretaker of the underwater ruins. Kelp and Kjardi now haunt the ruins.
- Crabbers Cove – local fisher, Gloomy Devil is missing. A halfling named Rat Albert is wanted for further questioning.
- Investigate the Dread Wood – Something unnatural is stirring in the Dread Wood, according to the sun-bathing halfling Ferrin and his seagull, Jonathan.
- Recover a Sunken Treasure – Captain Xendros has mentioned a magical mechanical crab was lost at sea, she would like someone to recover it. She is not ready to trust adventurers for this mission – a potion of healing has been purchased from her.
- Droth assigned to serve as a supporting medic for this adventuring band. water genasi grave cleric;
- Guy Windsong entertainer who is proficient in limericks and maybe a marine supply clerk?, half-elf bard;
- Jamie half-elf bard, made a sudden and mysterious appearance through a time-warping portal; (Age 28;)
- Kelda Hellsdóttir a red-headed hermit (follows the steps of her twin sister) on a mission to end slavery in the area. human druid, circle of the coast; (Age 30; H 5’6”; W 117;)
- Mossback “That’s Mr. Tortle to you!”, a local Saltmarsh fisher; tortle druid;
- Quixsy an elite soldier who broke barriers and became a role model for women. marine veteran, half-orc barbarian; (Age 36; H 5’8”; W 152;)
- Sar-Gassum (was that Sgt. Awesome?) his previous squad was crushed by a leviathan, soldier, water genasi monk (Age 23; H 6’0”; W 180;)
- Snaps (Chelydra Serpentina) she enjoys the sea, and hopes to buy some oceanfront property. marine veteran, tortle barbarian; (Age 30; H 5’6”; W 425;)